Migrate to Power BI with minimum disruption
Planning a move to Power BI? Save time, eliminate error, and cut costs with our tried and tested Power BI migration process.
Get your free migration assessment
Including advice on how to accelerate your Power BI migration.
Clients who trust our migration services
Seamlessly migrating to Power BI
As a Microsoft Gold Partner with 30 years of migration experience, we know how to streamline your migration. Our BI migration expertise guarantees you faster delivery, flawless transport, and a ready-to-go BI platform.
Here’s what to expect from our migration services:
Overcome migration hurdles to accelerate your transformation.
Ensure flawless transfer of your data and customisations.
Move to a BI platform that’s optimised in advance.
Start getting ROI straight away with a fully tailored BI platform.
See our migration process
Tried and tested BI migration steps
1. Pre-migration planning
This stage involves defining the standards, policies, and preferences for your Power BI implementation. Areas we can help you define and document include:
- workspace management
- data and content distribution
- dataset modes and shared datasets
- securing data and access, plus data certification
- report types
2. Requirements gathering
The outcome of this stage is a prioritised list of the reports and data that you want to migrate.
This stage also includes any scope for improvements during the migration, such as:
- report consolidation
- efficiency gains
- data model centralisation
3. Deployment planning
The focus at this stage is on outlining the solutions that will meet the needs identified. We’ll use this information to create a project plan. Tasks here include:
- choosing the right Power BI product
- deciding your workspace management approach
- defining how content will be consumed
- identifying data acquisition methods
- planning content storage
4. Proof of concept
A proof of concept (PoC) helps you clear up any unknowns and overcome risks before too much is invested. We can carry out a PoC in parallel with the deployment planning stage.
The outcome of a PoC is a narrow-scope Power BI solution. This will act as the basis for a full solution that we build in the subsequent stages.
5. Solution validation
This is the part where we convert the proof of concept into a production-ready solution.
By the end of this stage, you’ll have a complete Power BI solution that has been validated in a development environment.
Tasks at this stage include:
- Import dataset development, if required
- report and dashboard development
- validating data accuracy, security, functionality, and performance
6. Power BI deployment
In the final stage we deliver a production solution for your business to use. We can deploy to a group of pilot users or use a staged deployment methodology. The deployment process is as follows:
- test workplace deployment
- user acceptance testing (UAT)
- deploy to production environment
- post-production monitoring
- ongoing support and optimisation
From then on we’ll monitor and optimise your solution with managed services and support.
Looking for migration assistance?
How we optimise BI migration
No two migrations are exactly the same. However, there are some proven tactics that contribute to migration success. These are the principles behind our BI migration philosophy.
Skills and support
Your users need the right skills and motivation to use Power BI. That’s why we support our clients with Power BI user training.
Take quick wins
You’ll get more value with a migration plan that prioritises quick wins. We also use proofs of concept to get stakeholder buy-in quickly.
A migration is a chance for you to improve. That might be by cutting manual data preparation or by relocating business rules.
By working in agile cycles, we keep your platform on top of the latest developments. It pays to continually learn and adjust your approach.
See the solutions we migrate
Tableau to Power BI migration
SSRS to Power BI migration
Qlik to Power BI migration
Cognos to Power BI migration
Business Objects to Power BI migration
Crystal Reports to Power BI migration
Platforms we migrate to Power BI
As well as Power BI tenant migration, we are experienced in migrating a wide range of legacy systems to Power BI.
Some examples include SQL Server, Oracle, Excel, CSV, and COBOL. But in reality we can migrate any system with an Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) driver.
If you’d like to know more, please get in touch.
Why choose Influential to help your organisation migrate to Power BI?
30 years' BI experience
80 in-house IT experts
Work on-site or remotely
Microsoft Gold Partner
London and Kent offices
FAQ about migrating to Power BI
What are some tips you can share about migrating to Power BI?
- be aware of the “star schema” that Power BI likes its source data to be modelled in. Otherwise, you may end up with incorrect reports and poor performance
- don’t forget that Power BI requires you to invest time in creating a semantic layer, which makes reporting much easier afterwards
- take advantage of Power BI’s strengths. It’s often inefficient to recreate an old BI platform exactly in Power BI
- help users who’re familiar with Excel PivotTables and PivotChart by offering them the similar interface of Power BI’s Analyze in Excel
- understand that Power BI is a bridge between IT and corporate BI. It’s a solution that lends itself to wide deployment and adoption
How can Influential help my business migrate to Power BI?
Having helped dozens of organisations migrate their BI platforms, we have the tools and experience to accelerate yours as well. We follow a proven five-step process:
- pre-migration planning
- requirements gathering
- deployment plan
- proof of concept
- solution validation
- Power BI deployment
What BI solutions can you migrate to Power BI?
As an SAP and IBM partner, we’re experienced with a range of popular BI solutions. Some of the platforms we often migrate are IBM Cognos, SAP Business Objects, SAP Crystal Reports, Tableau, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), and Qlik.
Empower your business with Power BI
Get in touch to receive answers from a Power BI consultant about:
- your estimated migration cost
- your timeline for migrating to Power BI
- your ideal migration strategy
Complete the contact form to start your data-driven transformation.